Discussing things that happened…
Time to talk about 5 things that’ve happened and state my random opinion about them:
- Sam Smith – I’ve never been a fan of Sam Smith. Yes, I enjoyed songs from their first album, but I never really cared about them after that. Did you catch it? Did you catch what I did? Sam Smith has announced they prefer the pronouns they/them. And even though I was never a fan of them, I still respect them enough to use their proper pronouns. It’s not hard Associated Press -_- (AP did eventually go back and fix their article on Sam Smith to reflect their preferred pronouns, but when they first published the story they continued using he/him…come on AP)
- ASH KETCHUM FINALLY WON A POKEMON LEAGUE!! FINALLY!!! I mean the kid’s been 10 for over 20 years and never won. It’s about damn time! True, I stopped watching the TV show long ago, but I still remember the pain of watching Ash fail time and time again to win. Though I do appreciate the long con. Teaching kids to never give up on your dream and someday it will pay off…if you continue to grow and work hard at your dream.
- Maher and Corden: Fat shaming…..you’d think people would’ve learned after Nicole Arbour’s video “Dear Fat People” (oh wait, you don’t know who Nicole Arbour is? Don’t worry, nobody does. 15 minutes of fame was more like 15 seconds). Maher is already controversial on a LOT of things. But here’s my opinion: Fat shaming is bullying. End of my opinion.
- Purdue Pharma, OxyContin, Sackler family: The family is greed incarnate. States shouldn’t be allowed to have more opioids in their state than they need (and yes, there’s a record for how much they need based on people who actually use it [I know it’s more complicated than that, but the point I’m making is this: SELLERS at pharma companies push to send out more opioids into states than they need]). DON’T BLAME THE WHOLE COMPANY!! BLAME THE PUBLICITY AND MARKETING DEPARTMENTS AND CEOS!!! There are people who work in pharmaceuticals who honest to GOD want to help people and have NO CONTROL over the pricing of the drugs. There are people working in the research department trying to cure diabetes, cure cancer, cure all kinds of diseases, but the guys selling the products don’t care. The people in the PR and Marketing departments (usually) DON’T HAVE PHDs OR KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MEDICINE!! They are sellers first. They only care about money. BUT NOT THE PEOPLE MAKING THE PHARMACEUTICALS!! End of my rant. But the Sackler family…they’re pieces of shit.
- Ending on something light: The Steven Universe Movie came out last week. It was pretty good. I loved the villain Spinel. Her story was heartbreaking and relatable (minus the whole wanting to destroy the world thing). She was also animated more closely to classic cartoons (think Betty Boop, Steamboat Willie). The songs were catchy (Other Friends!!) and it was interesting to see who collaborated on some of them (Chance The Rapper, Aimee Mann, Mike Krol, Ted Leo [Aimee Mann’s husband], and many more!). Was it a bit cheesy at times? Yes, it’s a kid’s show, but they didn’t shy away from dark things (BLOOD? Actual blood and physical violence shown?!).
Anybut, those were only 5 things that happened. I’ve wanted to talk about each, but clearly there wasn’t enough on any of the topics for a single post.
These were MY opinions on each. Your opinions may be different and that’s fine. Now on to more random things!!